Traveling to the Middle East is not exactly a cheap endeavor, especially when you are talking about visiting Dubai. That is not to say there is no place to eat for under $20 per person, but you will have to get away from the five star hotel scene to experience succulent food on a working individual’s salary.
Believe it or not, you can find a variety of western fast food in Dubai, perhaps most notably McDonald’s. There is also an iHop, Burger King, KFC, Hardees and Popeye’s, just to name a few. If you are on a strict budget and do not mind much the same fare as you would find in the US, these are a great place to start. It should be noted you may find some local dishes at your favorite fast food joints.
There are multiple places to eat in Dubai for less than DHS 50 (15 USD). When you want to experience local cuisine without breaking the bank, go where the natives go! Here are just a few options to choose from:
- The Curry Leaf- When you are in the mood for some traditional Sri Lankan fare, find this place at the Food Court; Al Musalla Tower. Take cash as credit and debit cards are not accepted.
- The Fish Basket- fresh fish you choose yourself or if you are unsure, let the staff give you their experienced suggestions. Fish, prawns, breads, salads and even fresh crab are available. Credit cards accepted
- Highway Inn- when you want a cheap Indian and Chinese buffet, look no further. You can comfortably eat here for less than $10 usd.
Sometimes you want a bit more than a quick bite to eat, and as you can imagine, this can get pricey. But never fear dear traveler, there are still some fantastic options. Here are just a few:
- Dhow Cruise- $35 usd may sound a bit steep for dinner, but when you take into account the 90 minute cruise, welcome drinks and on board entertainment, it falls more in the realm of reasonable.
- Tom and Serg- a nice little restaurant that offers a wide variety of dishes, many of which are priced under $20, a couple could eat here for less than $40, but you will have to watch the menu and like any restaurant, the add-ons such as specialty coffee and dessert.
- Massad Barbecue: Farm to Table- Lebanese food to the rescue after a long day seeing the sights! For $35 or less, you and a partner can enjoy Lebanese, Mediterranean, fast food or Arabian dishes.
Traveling on a budget is something millions of people do every year, and while the playboys may be able to simply slap down a black card, the rest of us need to pay attention to the costs. Thankfully, you will find plenty to do, see and great food to eat without taking out a second mortgage.